Sunday, November 23, 2008

First Entry

What factors of your native culture have informed your religious world view? Explain the impact of these factors

I find that my native culture is American however I am a third culture kid so my religious world view may be more broad than that of a "native" American. I have gone to church my whole life and gone to school in private Christians schools my whole life. I believe in a less legalistic Christian life party due to my high level of inconsistency with following rules and guidelines, and doing homework. I was never considered "close minded" or "sheltered" despite the strong Christian influence. This is partly because I lived in America and was exposed to many different cultures and religious world views. This helped me to understand many different world views and upon moving to Korea I had no problem understanding the culture but I tend not to accept it most of the time. This is mostly how I am with Christianity I believe that is the one true and only religion and understand what it is but I have lots of trouble with acceptance.

3 comments:

Mr. Rader said...

Scott.

I appreciate the post. I think you could have taken a little more time to write it, but I think the points you made were good and succinct.

Thanks for the comments you have been making in class recently. Please speak up more in class and share with the rest of us! You've got a good brain in your head boy, use it!

African Globe Trotters. said...

Scott, you have such talent and I pray this year will be a time of spiritual affirmation for you. Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Know that God loves you and cares for you. Mrs.Mc.

Korean Cherry Blossem said...

I identify with your idea of having broad religious views in the sense that I have been exposed to things overseas that I might not have been exposed to otherwise and that has led to a further understanding of certain religions(namely Christianity and Buddhism). I, however, am considered legalistic on many aspects due to my morals and standards. Although I have lived in various locations in Korea and a bit in the US, my family has had a much bigger effect on my morality than the culture in which I resided at that point in time. I can see your point regarding acceptance although for different reasons. I attempt to understand different cultures and religions, but I do refuse to accept practices that go against my own beliefs, thus not "accepting" them in the sense of the embracement of the ideas/ideals presented.